SC - Questions on Sekainjabin

Vicki Strassburg taltos at primenet.com
Thu Apr 22 11:14:50 PDT 1999

> What sorts of wine vinegar have you used?  Have you ever made it with
> plain white vinegar?  I've had it as a clear liquid, and think it might
> be made that way by some people.  I do have some red wine vinegar in the
> cabinet.  It would probably give a pinkish color, wouldn't it?  What
> about cider vinegar?  That's used in the Virginian 'switchel' 17th C.

I forgot about this in my last post! After having had other sekunjabins, I
will never go back to the plain vinegars. The subtlety of all the others
just leave the white vinegar in the dust. Red wine vinegar worked great,
but needed strong mints to go with it (the peppermint and spearmint were
wonderful). The white wine vinegar was a spicier taste. The queen of all
my concoctions, though, was apple mint with apple cider vinegar. Wow. It
had all the tang of regular sekunjabin, but the apple flavor just danced
around the roof of my mouth. Yup - only the roof because it positively
floated it was so light. (Cut down on the sweetners for this one, thouhg.)
I have also played with honey, sugar, raw sugar and soon stevia. The raw
sugar overpowered anything else. The honey made it heavier and
(understandably) thicker so it neded more dilution.

> onwards, which I think must have started life somewhere as Sekainjabin.
> I don't recall reading the name switchel in late period English cook
> books, but it could be there.

ohhhh - something new to go look up :-)

Bottoms up! ~Maedb