SC - Saffron

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Fri Apr 23 07:32:39 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/23/1999 10:01:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LrdRas at aol.com writes:

>  Saffron, like caviar, is oftentimes subject to
>  unscrupulous producers and dealers.
>
>  Ras

While in such august company, as we're discussing the most noble of spices...
I have a question.

I was presented in one of my courts with an entire 2 oz size jar of something
identified as "Egyptian Saffron." It looks like saffron threads that have
been chopped up, only slightly thicker.  It has a sweet fruity smell,
somewhat like the regular saffron threads I'm used to, but without the sharp
note I identify as being saffron like.

The entire label reads "Saffron Threads, crush before using, Egypt" but as I
said, it only sort of looks like saffron. It doesn't look like safflower
either.

What do I have here and is it safe to use? Was my description vague enough?

Corwyn