SC - period fruit pastries

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Tue Apr 27 01:55:47 PDT 1999

> is there a period fruit pastry out there?
> like pasties?
> i have a friend who is serving a dish and was wondering if it was period

well, I have this recipe a friend gave me along time ago from
Sallets, Humbles and Shrewsberry Cakes by R A Beeke, and I think
somewhere in De Platina there's one for cherry tart. I only have
excerpts from it, will see what I can find.

Strawberry Tart
1 quart strawberries ( wash , drain and de-stem)
1/2 cup full bodied red wine
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp each ginger and cinnamon
1 T cornstarch
1 backed pie shell

whipped cream

in a saucepan, heat the sugar wine ginger and cinnamon. Dissolve the
cornstarche in just enough wine to make a smooth paste, then add to
the saucepan and bring to a boil, stir constantly. Simmer about 3
minutes or until the sauce thickens. Arrange the berries inthe pie
shell and pour the syrup over, Chill thoroughly, serve with whipped
cream.

Not sure of the accuracy of the source ( can anyone tell me?) but I
can vouch for the tart, it's tasty!

Fiona