SC - ps photographing old documents

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Aug 2 07:11:41 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/2/99 6:14:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, freyja1 at juno.com
writes:

<< All this leads to helping me create as Period an experience as
 possible. Since English potters were not of noble birth, I am really not
 looking to or expecting elaborate food..or is this wrong? >>

Yes, and no. Iron and copper kettles were used extensively for boiling and
other such things. Pottery would, SFAIK, been more used in hearth side
cookery. One of the problems I foresee in trying to produce pottery cooking
pots for the peasant class would be the fact that, at least in the cities,
there were laws that forbid personal kitchens in many times and places. Food
was brought to the local ovens and cooked or bought already prepared. I would
suggest looking for casserole or other type pottery cooking vessels as these
would have been more common for the class you seek to re-create.

As for myself, I am not a peasant persona and would most welcome those items
that were used by noble households (e. g Middle Eastern/Andalusian would be
ideal for me). I find that locating kitchen reproductions used in noble
households is the most difficult task.

Just a thought or 2.

Ras