SC - Introduction

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Aug 2 09:02:31 PDT 1999

I've been lurking here for a couple of months, getting the Digest.
Yesterday, I decided that I'd take the plunge and go with the regular sub -
as long as I can manage the volume, it'll be easier for me to reply to posts
and save the parts that interest me.
I am The Hon. Lady Maredudd Angharad ferch Gwenhyfar. I've been in the
Society since Nov. 1987. My main interests are cooking (obviously),
calligraphy and illumination, and clothing. I've entered competitions with
food items, and I've won a couple. I've been cooking since the beginning -
my first event was spent in the kitchen, and then I washed the dishes. The
head cook was the only person I knew there. I've helped cook more feasts
than I can remember.
I live in the Barony of Caerthe, (Denver, CO) in the Kingdom of the
Outlands. We've been here for almost five years. Before that we were in
Calontir. I am the Outlands Kingdom Scribe, and I am a lady-in-waiting to
the Baron and Baroness of Caerthe. I'm also involved in various capacities
in several upcoming events. I only understanding the meaning of "no" when
used in conjunction with "problem".
My philosophy of cooking and the SCA in general? I don't know if you want me
to get started... Ahh, *there's* my soapbox.
I am a stickler for authenticity, because I think it is the basis of what
we're doing here. I dislike the terms "small", "remove", "farspeaker" and
"feastocrat". I avoid "period" feasts that contain green beans, potatoes,
and zucchini. Having said that, I am also aware that some members of our
Society do not hold to the same ideals, and although their feasts may not be
period or even peri-oid, they are still serving the populace by providing a
valuable and appreciated service. If others want to cook a "feast" of fried
chicken and mashed potatoes, and if there are people who will pay to eat it,
who am I to interfere with that? Instead, I choose to lead by example,
cooking period foods and encouraging others to do the same through
education.
I am also working to change the perception of the populace regarding
cooking, thanks to some discussions with Berengaria. It seems that cooking
is generally seen as a service rather than an art, and I think most of us
would disagree with that assessment. I think the perception is reinforced by
the general feast experience. It's really not too much different than eating
in a restaurant: we sit down to plates and utensils, and someone brings us
food. Ok, we have to clean up after ourselves, and that's different. More
like McDonald's. I'm all for the feast as theatre, just like court and
fighting are theatre.
I have really enjoyed reading the posts of all you fine people, and I am
looking forward to actually participating in discussions.

Maredudd