SC - Ostrich & calf (was: medieval faires)

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Aug 2 13:28:52 PDT 1999

Ana skrev:

>You know,  in Argentina and Uruguay was
usual in the last century to eat cattle fetus, called "nonato".They say its
wonderful meat, tender and full of flavour. But I have never being
offered...

There are any number of traditions of eating fetal animals world wide. I
think you may have come late for our discussions of rabbit fetuses being
considered non-meat for Lenten purposes. Native Americans considered fetal
deer to be a great delicacy.

Myself, while I would be ready to try fetuses of any species if they were to
come my way, I am not particularly interested in trying to find them, not
for any reasons of squeamishness, but rather because I tend to prefer more
intense flavors- I prefer beef to veal, for example- and suspect that I
might find them rather bland.

A second reason, in my mind, is that killing a pregnant animal in order to
try their fetuses is a waste, not only of the mother, but of the infant,
although again I would have no qualms if the animal were killed accidently.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio