SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad- the mild Oregon version - OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 2 21:44:28 PDT 1999

Ras said:
> Ta*tar (noun)
>
> <snip>
>
>  2 : any of the Turkic languages spoken by the Tatar peoples
>
> Now it becomes a matter of figuring out what herb was unique this region.

Ummm. Maybe. Maybe not. Just because they called it Tatar herb doesn't
necessarily indicate that is where it was from. Remember for instance
the "turkey" which came from the New World and not Turkey. I'm sure
folks can think of others. Also, even if it did come from this region
doesn't mean it is unique to this region. Just that the Europeans got
(or thought the middlemen got) it from there. Also, you actually mean
what herb was unique *then* to this region and not now. It may be
difficult finding a book that describes herbs by region for now, much
less for a particular time in the past.

However, if this is all there is to go on I guess it is worth a
try.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: