SC - Spices / Francesco di Marco Datini (1335-1410)

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Tue Aug 3 00:07:26 PDT 1999

Sindara asked:
> I know I have asked this before, but I can't seem to locate the information
> in my files.  THere was a discussion on this list a while back concerning
> candied spices.  I have a recipe I want to use for candied spices from a
> middle eastern cookbook but I don't know how period it may be.  Any hep
> would be appreciated.

You might check these files in the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section of my
Florilegium:
candy-msg        (127K) 12/11/98    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of the
                                       candying process by Alys Katharine.

These two from Mistress Renata might have some info on candied spices but
if not, perhaps the other info in them will be of interest:
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses &
Sugar"
                                       by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                       Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: