SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad- the mild Oregon version - OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 3 00:48:19 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Gloning <Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: July 31, 1999 5:15 PM
Subject: SC - Spices / Francesco di Marco Datini (1335-1410)

>The life of Francesco di Marco Datini (1335-1410) is noteworthy for
>culinary history in several respects:

[snip]

I am happy to agree with your estimate of Francesco di Marco Datini's
importance, among other reasons, because he is partially the inspiration for
my persona (the name; much about the household and life; though I did make
my persona primarily a spice trader and move him to Venice for that reason)
and also because Origo's book is such an enjoyable an readable introduction
to the Italy of that era.

>The bibliography of Origo's book contains a useful reference to a book,
>from which spice manuals and other useful things are quoted:
>-- Ciasca, R. (ed.): L'Arte dei Medici e Speziali nella storia e nel
>commercio fiorentino dal secolo XII al XV. Firenze 1927. [roughly: The
>profession and the knowledge of the physicians and the
>apothecaries/spicers in the history of the Florentine trade from the
>12th to the 15th centuries. Florence 1927.)

I have a photocopy of the spice section of the book, and have worked through
it with my admittedly miniscule command of Italian. There are more recent
coverages of the subject, but there is a great deal of useful information in
this source.

Francesco Sirene
David Dendy / ddendy at silk.net
partner in Francesco Sirene, Spicer / sirene at silk.net