SC - Re: Copying Old Documents (OT)

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Tue Aug 3 06:40:26 PDT 1999

Here is the recipe for what my mother calls "German Potato Salad" and learned
from her mother, but that's a far back as I can trace it.  Again, not much in
the way of amounts.  Ras, this isn't mayo-based, and has a very different
flavor from what's usually called potato salad, so it might be an option for
you.

5 lbs new, salad, or redskin potatos
1 lb bacon
approx. 1 large onion
celery seed (maybe a tablespoon?)
salt
white vinegar

Boil the potatos with the skins on until done, drain and let cool slightly,
then peel (a hot and sticky job).  Slice small.  Salt and add celery seeds.
Chop onions very small and add.  Meanwhile, cook the bacon, reserving several
tablespoons of the fat.  When the bacon is cooked, chop small and add to the
rest.  Put the reserved (still liquid) bacon fat in a small bowl (I use a
particular teacup to get the right amount), add about 2-3 times as much white
vinegar, and whip.  When mixed as thoroughly as possible, pour over the
potato salad mixture and mix thoroughly.  Keep adding white vinegar and
mixing until it tastes right, then let it sit for several hours and taste it
again.  It will need more vinegar.  (There is a running joke in my house; no
matter what the potato salad tastes like, someone always says "Needs more
vinegar!")  This should be made 3-4 hours ahead of time to allow the flavors
to work together.  It does not need to be refrigerated, and will keep sitting
on the kitchen table for up to a week, if it lasts that long.

Brangwayna Morgan