SC - OOP was: Potato salad now: Onion Pie

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Tue Aug 3 07:22:24 PDT 1999

I'm an archivist in the mundane world and while we don't deal with books as
much as with other historical documents, I used to work in a archive with a
fairly large special collections section where we did occasionally allow
researchers to photograph pages from old, delicate books. Photocopying is
not a great option as it is hard on the binding unless you have a special
machine with a book cradle (and we didn't). Both photocopying and scanning
expose the paper and ink to larger amounts of potentially destructive light
than camera lights.  Sheet UV filters are available, but there usefulness
has not been absolutely proven.

Photography is probably the best bet. But professional conservators are not
cheap. If finances are limited you can probably do an adequate job yourself
if you do a little homework first. You'll need to provide some support for
the book so that it doesnn't lay absolutely flat (that's hard on the
binding). Someone suggested the Conservation Online. They also have a
mailing list. That's where the conservation pros hang out and when I worked
at a facility without a fulltime conservation staff that's where we
directed the really hard questions.

Valoise