SC - Introducing Myself

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 13:57:57 PDT 1999

> >Hmmmmm..... with another member from far Northern Europe, we may very
>well
> >be able to play freely in recipes we've never had translated before.....
> >

>I would like that as much as you, but there seems to be a shortage in
>Swedish period recipes, probably because of the fire in Stockholm in the
>17th century.
>But if anyone knows differently I would be pleased to hear it : )
>
>Lady Uta
>Gotvik, Nordmark

I'm certainly interested in hearing about this topic!  I was slow off the
mark in getting myself ready to volunteer for the 25th annual Tournement of
Ymir, but I can still make number 26.

For whatever reason, I wasn't comfortable with the idea of volunteering
until I had a period menu in mind--not a specific menu, just an idea of what
would and wouldn't be "right" for the far north and fairly early.  Had
gotten as far as reading all the books on Scandanavian cooking available to
me.  (Mmmm! wonder if "reindeer ham" will fit into an SCA feast budget?
Maybe as a novelty?)  Was planning on contacting Nanna and Ana when the word
came that the newest canton in the Barony received the honors of hosting the
event.

One of the questions I had:

Smorgasbord or something like it seems common to all--but how long ago would
this have started?  (I was envisioning a first course of this, with well
marked dishes and servers acting as buffet attendents to control the serving
sizes as so much of it would be rather pricey stuff.)

I also wondered why on earth these people, who obviously had a fire burning
on the hearth every day of the winter, went to such extremes to bake all
their bread at once in the fall and subsist on staler and staler bread as
the year passed by.  The growing season is short and all the grain won't be
all ripe when harvest time comes.  Bread stores better than green grain,
hence, massive amounts of baking the fall and flat, wheel shaped loaves with
holes in the middle so the piles of loaves can be stored up in the rafters
hanging on a pole.

Bonne