SC - OOP: Vidalia onions

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 14:06:56 PDT 1999

> > Hey, folks, how about this as a project for the List? Why don't we start
> > going around to our friends and relatives of foreign extraction, or
>(fairly)
> > recent immigration, say 2 or 3 generations, and start talking with them
> > about family recipes they may have brought from the Old Country,

whether or not it's a list project: ask anyway!  it takes just one missed
generation to lose so much information!

In our family, we cook a dish for breakfast that involves frying bacon and
then frying potatoes as for hash browns in the drippings.  crumble the bacon
over the potatoes and then pour scrambled eggs over it all, cook it,
stirring a little but finishing with a solid cake rather than a crumbled
mixture.  Mom learned it from her mom and credited it as a good way to make
a little bacon go a long way, and also faster and easier than seperate eggs,
potatoes and bacon for a family of 8.  Grandma isn't much for housework and
cooking, so a "lazy" recipe like this just seemed like the sort of thing
she'd come up with.

Mom never asked Grandma where the recipe came from until Dad gave her the
"Cooking of Germany" volume of the Time-Life series of cookbooks.  Lo and
behold! there was that recipe!  And Grandma's family is German!

Grandma's mother died when Grandma was 4 or 5 years old.  She learned to
cook from her older sisters, but as they were teens who had school and jobs
and beaus, she always figured they were just hurrying up the breakfast
process. When My great-grandfather re-married and my Grandma became
nursemaid to a herd of younger step and half brothers, that was certainly
her reason for cooking the dish!  She didn't know it was German in origin, a
family dish her unremembered mother cooked. After we asked Grandma, she
asked her sisters, who finally told her some things that they were too sad
and busy to tell her as a child.

Bonne