SC - Tatar defined

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 17:05:55 PDT 1999

The other day, Adamantius queried the list about the American
custon of using the word "goulash" for a variety of foods.

In my family, I have an aunt with an interesting problem.  My
mother and her mother (from the 40s on, probably) made what they
called spaghetti in this manner.  The sauce was basically
browned hamburger and onion, tomato sauce and tomato paste and
italian spice.  These were combined in a large frying pan, and
then when the noodles were cooked, they were stirred into the
sauce, shredded cheddar cheese was spread on top, and it was put
in the oven just until the cheese melted.  This was the
spaghetti I grew up on.

When my aunt Judy prepared spaghetti for her very new husband,
there was some family conflict.  She had said on the phone that
they were having spaghetti for dinner, and he had come home
expecting something closer to what he had eaten as a child in
So. California Italian restaurants.  The all-in-one meal he was
delivered was not at all what he was ready for.

Since that point, Uncle Mike has been a real fan of Aunt Judy's
"goulash" but will not allow anyone in the family to call it
spaghetti because "it obviously isn't"

I think that goulash is an unexpected or unidentifiable (in the
case of many 50s and 60s school cafeterias) mixture of
foodstuffs, many times including pasta.

Now, as to hash, I was never able to relate to the stuff in the
cans (corned beef hash??).  My grandmother on my father's side
was half-german.  She made hash from the Sunday roast (usually
venison, but sometimes beef).  She would put it through the meat
grinder, until it was very fine, and mix with it cooked
rutabega, potatoes, carrots and onions. She would then freeze
this until large amounts of family would show up.

For a large family breakfast, grandma always had hash, warmed in
a frying pan (very little moisture left) fried eggs, fried
potatoes, and pancakes with homemade current jelly or
chokecherry syrup (chockcherries do not have much pectin, and so
never set very well.  It always turns to syrup.)

When I was 8 or 9, and saw corned beef hash for the first time,
I was confused as to why they would leave the pieces so large.
It didn't look like hash to me!

I don't know if this adds to your information, Master A, but
that's the facts.  By the way, my grandparents lived in Southern
Idaho, so maybe that is why there are potatoes in the hash.  And
I didn't know that shooting deer at any time of the year you
feel like it is not considered legal in many parts.  My uncle
would just go up on the hill and bring in a buck whenever he
knew that there would be more than 2 families visiting Grandma
and Grandpa.

Tyrca
===
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra