SC - WAS-primary sources (long)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 17:54:58 PDT 1999

My Lady Tyrca

I am so glad you enjoyed Nordmark, and Visby - it really is beautiful, isn't it.
I myself come from the west-coast, so the saffron pancake you ask about is not quite as usual here as on Gotland. But anyway I found a recipe in one of my cook-books:
First you have to make rice-porridge:
3 dl water
1/2 tsp salt
1Tsp butter
1 1/2 dl short-grain rice
7dl milk
1-2 Tsp sugar (optional)
Heat the water to a boil with salt and butter, then put in the rice. Boil slowly under lid for about ten minutes, and then pour in the milk. Boil very slowly for 30-40 minutes, not lifting the lid the first 15 minutes. Stir at the end of the 40 minutes.

Saffron Pancake
Mix the porridge with 1/2 gr of saffron, 7 dl milk or milk and cream, 4 eggs, 1/2 dl sugar and 75 gr scalded and chopped almonds. Pour the mixture in a low, ovensafe container, and bake it for 35-40 minutes in 200 C.

Hope this will help : )

  12 layers with buttercreme filling, in the
>shape of a dragon's head.  And when it was presented, the Baron
>was asked to finish the poor thing off as it was not quite dead,
>and may be suffering.  He pulled his broadsword and sliced the
>head from the neck, and it spurted grape jelly blood!  Aah, such
>memories!!

I've heard about that cake - it's legendary!

>And one more thing I remember.  The morning that we were
>planning on leaving to return to the mainland and hence back to
>Germany, our host and hostess treated us to a traditional dish,
>handed down in each family, a little different from your
>neighbor.  Saffron Pancakes!  Delicious!  (And I am sure Master
>C that it is not a scribal error!)
>
>Uta, if you just -happen- to have a recipe (as I lost the one I
>was given) I would be extremely grateful if you would share it
>with all of us here.  I know these people, and they will start
>rioting if they think you are withholding a delicious recipe!

I hope this recipe is good, otherwise I'm sure I can dig up a couple more for you : )

Yours in Service
Lady Uta
Gotvik, Nordmark