SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta salad- the mild ...

Peldyn@aol.com Peldyn at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 10:53:47 PDT 1999

>Bonne asks:
>
> >I also wondered why on earth these people, who obviously had a fire
>burning
>on the hearth every day of the winter, went to such extremes to bake all
>their bread at once in the fall and subsist on staler and staler bread as
>the year passed by.
>
>Bear would be the one to verify this, but my limited experience has shown
>me
>that a bread baking fire would be different from a heating fire

I'm not sure that the type of fire issue would answer my question about why
bake it all at once just after harvest.  There are also different types of
bread.  It takes a different fire different from a heating fire to bake
lofty loaves of yeast bread but they could have developed girdle baked
loaves instead, esp.  given that rye and barley don't rise as well as wheat.

Bonne