SC - Potato salad - my mom's recipe OOP

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 12:05:57 PDT 1999

Good Gentles of the Cooks' List:

I'm suffering from a bout of Insufficient Reluctance Syndrome...  I
volunteered to do my group's newsletter, starting last month, while knowing
full well I was catering an SCA friend's wedding in November.  While I can
handle the doing; my thinking/planning/being creative time is pretty much
gone; and I need your help with ideas to flesh out my menu.

Logistics:

Our audience will be about half mundanes, one-quarter SCAdians, one-quarter
role-players/gamers.  Our bride and groom have requested "pretty close to
period."  I don't have to worry about beverages, and there will likely be a
mundane cake there (parents, you know... <G>)  There will be a sizeable
handful of vegetarians; but probably no vegans.

We were asked to do a buffet, with a budget of roughly $3 per body (~150
guests).

So far we have planned to do trays of cold sliced meats (roasted and sliced
ourselves) with a variety of sauces (mustard, cameline, etc.), plus trays
of fruit and cheese.  (The groom hates cheese, so this is probably the only
cheese we will use.)  The bride's only allergies are OOP, so no worries.

Can someone suggest to me five or six period dishes (or perioid, if
necessary) that I can transform into canapes?  I haven't seen the hall yet,
so I am assuming that everything will have to be prepared in advance and
served cold or room-temp, except whatever will fit in my chaffing dish.  I
also won't have time to do more than one really fiddly complicated thing.

Thoughts so far:  Fungys, done with whole mushrooms, in the chaffing dish?
 Ordering 300 tart shells from the cash-n-carry and making petite ember
tartes?  Coneys in Cirop, done with chicken wings, in the chaffing dish?

Help!  Brain on overload!!!

Thanks in advance,

	- kat