SC - Re: pasta salad-

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Wed Aug 4 18:22:06 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/4/99 6:37:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << The modern dish known by the name, though, is fresh limas and
>  green/sweet corn, usually without any meat.
>
>  Adamantius >>
>
> By who's definition? My grandmother (a pure blooded Susquehannic) always used
> shelled beans for this dish which is definitely Native American in origin. My
> sources say that the use of lima beans is a fairly recent innovation.

Hence the term "modern". Many native American dishes have been altered
by changes in available foodstuffs, or by a sacrifice of tradition in
the face of expedience. Earlier this year I chatted with a Navajo lady
who thought my fry bread was worth saving from rampant inauthenticity
(they were too thick). She mentioned that the recipe she gave me (quite
similar to my own) had been in use for centuries. I decided not to ask
about where they got the self-rising wheat flour prior to its becoming
standard ration issue on the reservations in the late 19th century. This
obviously recent recipe was, in truth, the way _her_ grandmother made them.

You've mentioned what appears to be an exception to a fairly widely
accepted definition.

> Ras(who has a problem with 'professionals defining things in terms that are
> really inaccurate. :-()

Me too. Even worse than when non-professonals do it!

A.
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com