SC - event report

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Wed Aug 4 23:19:54 PDT 1999

Ana asked:
> Dear friends: I am going to act now and after a nice letter from lady
> Uta from Gotvik, I am decided to join SCA in Sweden and try to develop
> my interest in period food and culture.
> My dilemma is: what kind of persona may I choose? Which are the criteria
> to choose a persona? Should I choose a woman or a man? A noble or a bard
> or a nun?
> Should I have someone from the Andalusian or from the Italian, from the
> German or from the Nordic culture?

Welcome Ana! You will certainly be an asset to our Society.

Your questions are all good ones. It is really up to you. Lots of folks
pick different personas for different reasons. Some pick one from their
family background, some pick one because it isn't from their family
background. You can change your persona later if you wish. It is not
set in stone. My recommendation to new folks is to worry only about a
first name. This keeps people from having to learn your regular name
and then switch to a persona name just as they are getting to know you.
The last name can wait for a while.

You might want to look at some of the files in the NEWCOMERS section
of my Florilegium. Also, the files in the CULTURES section will give
you an overview of some cultures, although you already are much more
knowledgeable about the Middle Ages than most of our new folks. These
files are only a small sampling (ie: those I've seen discussed) of
what is possible.

As to persona info, you might want to look at these files in the
PERSONA section, especially the article by Master Cariadoc.
Inquisitn-Gme-art (17K)  5/24/99    "The Inquisition Game" by Daniel of
Raven's
                                       Nest.
names-msg         (68K)  3/24/97    Name sources, naming practices.
persona-art       (14K) 11/12/96    An article on persona by Duke Cariadoc.
Persona-Build-art (14K)  2/24/99    "Building A Persona"
                                       by Pamela Hewitt, the Harper.
persona-msg       (68K) 12/ 5/96    Persona development.
personas-msg      (95K)  8/ 8/94    Persona examples.

> I dont want to choose a persona I am not feeling "at home" with.

Definitely.

Please feel free to contact me by email if I can help in any way, although
I will be off at Pennsic soon until August 22.

Stefan
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: