SC - cherry-vinegar syrup drink

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 5 11:55:31 PDT 1999

> << So it sounds like mine aren't edible.  >>
>
> Wrong. If you manage to get fruit, Japanese quinces are as edible as European
> ones.
>
>Quince makes a more subtle contribution to the summer border with its
>speckled fruit. About the size of Ping-Pong balls, they make fine preserves.
>
> Ras

     Good news indeed.  And considering the next message (and the size of
the fruit), I think I know what I have now, and that it *is* edible.

>    I don't know the after effects of eating the "thorned" flowering
>quince, but I suspect it is the variety we have eaten many times in
>the past.  Our favorite use of the quince is to add one to the
>ingredients for Apple pie (sliced up very thin)...we also enjoy adding
>raisins and cranberries.  Not strong period stuff, but sure makes the
>crowd happy.
    Efron le Fey

     I only get a dozen or two quinces (assuming I see them before they
fall and rot; I have no idea when to pick them), so I may try the apple
pie route first (I know my apples are edible :-) and save the attempt at
preserves for next year.  Or maybe I'll get adventurous and try one of
the other quince recipes and just make a very small batch of whatever.

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu