SC - Anybody Home?

Kekilpenny@aol.com Kekilpenny at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 21:02:12 PDT 1999

Here's another quince recipe to add to the collection.

TORTA DE MEMBRILLOS -- Quince tart

Source: _Libro del Arte de Cozina_ (Spanish, 1599)
Translation: mine

Set the quince to roast in the ashes of the coals, then remove the rind
with wine, or water, and cut it in thin slices: have the tart casserole set
aside, with your three crusts[1], and the large pancake[2] sprinkled all
around with sugar, cinnamon, and cloves, and put the slices of quince
with raisins, and morsels of lard, and all sprinkled with sugar and
cinnamon, cover the tart with a thick crust, and some strips of crust,
and cook it in the oven, and serve it hot with sugar and rosewater on
top.  You can add to the quinces fresh dates cut small, after having
been cooked in wine and sugar, and soaked[3] pine nuts, and some
slices of new cheese.

[1] The Spanish word used is "hojaldres", which is in modern terms is
puff pastry.  The term derives from "hoja", meaning leaf.  When I posted
the recipe for carrot pie, a while back, I included a recipe from the same
source for making hojaldre.  The directions made it clear that the
finished product will puff up into many "leaves".
[2] the word is "tortillon".  In Iberian Spanish, "torta" is a cake and
"tortilla" means a pancake or an omlette; the -on suffix denotes
something large or substantial.
[3] The liquid is not specified, but there are many Spanish recipes of
this period which call for soaking whole spices and other ingredients in
rosewater overnight.

I would interpret the "three crusts" as being a large bottom crust
sprinkled with sugar and spices, and a thick top crust, sealed on the
edges with strips cut from the third piece of crust.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann