SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pastasala

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sat Aug 7 07:07:30 PDT 1999

- -Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>> They use "thin metal plates", he
>> says, no longer flat stones.
>
>I suspect that would be the Norwegian griddle, I believe called a
>"takke". My friend has an electric one specifically for lefse, of all things.

In Wales we also used the bakestone.  The recipe for Welshcakes, for example
says to cook them on a bakestone.  This progressed over time to our using a
large round iron plate instead of a stone - called in Welsh "maen" which means
"stone".  Welshcakes in Welsh are called "Pice ar y Maen".

Meini (pl) come in various sizes, and the bigger they are, the thicker they
are.  The big ones were used on the fire. The one my mother has is smaller (14"
diameter x3/4" thick), and was made for use on a modern stove top.

Elysant