SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta sala

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 8 06:13:37 PDT 1999

DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

>     *grin* And you just answered another question of mine--I wondered if this
> would still be tasty served cold! I was afraid the bacon and skin would be
> greasy and unpleasant.

Remember that "greasy", in societies where a person probably burned up
at least half his/her caloric intake just staying warm in houses without
adequate heat, central or otherwise, does not equate with "unpleasant".
I seem to recall reading medieval accounts of people starving and
dreaming of fat, fatty bacon, butter, etc. Another aspect is that these
might have been relatively dry birds, requiring the extra fat to make
them palatable after long cooking. Pies sometimes seem to be akin to
stews in an edible container (by which I mean long, moist cooking: let's
not get into another stew debate, okay?).

> But I'm fixing the Royal lunch for Tourney of the
> Foxes at the end of the month, and have been eyeing the "Icelandic" chicken
> as a possible change from standard pasties. I still want to try it myself
> first, but your report is reassuring! :-)

I'd recommend serving them at something like room temperature, if
possible, rather than chilled-right-out-of-the-cooler.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com