SC - On a Tangential, OT Note - Was: Potato salad+pasta sala

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sun Aug 8 09:49:51 PDT 1999

In a message dated 08/08/1999 8:43:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<<
 I'd recommend serving them at something like room temperature, if
 possible, rather than chilled-right-out-of-the-cooler.

 Adamantius

    I'd certainly prefer to do so, and it might end up that way if folks
serve their plates and let then sit a few minutes before eating...... But
since I'm going to have to have the food available over a long period of
time--probably a couple of hours (This will be served at the side of the
fighting field, and His Majesty and the other fighters may not eat until the
Tourney is over)--in the suffocating heat we get here in the South in August,
I don't dare leave the dishes sitting in the sun. I'll either have them in
ice chests until requested, or have ice in a secondary container under the
plates the perishables are on.
    While I'm on the topic, does anyone have any particular suggestions for
finger foods for this kind of set up? I'm trying to stick mostly to late
period Western foods due to the personas of our current Monarchs. So far I
have one of the "Deviled" egg recipes (The one with sorrel), a chicken pasty,
or the Icelandic Chicken, perhaps a pork pasty as well, fruits, raw veggies,
bread, olives and/or Compost, marzipan (either shaped and colored as fruit,
or printed and flattened), gingerbread (Definitely printed, since I've stamps
that'll work), Digby's Excellent Small Cakes, lemonade from one of the syrups
in the Miscellany, and ice water.
    This menu is pretty well OK, I guess, but I'm open to other ideas, too! I
*would* like to have a "dip" for the veggies, if anyone has a period one to
offer. Oh, and Her Majesty is lactose intolerant, so I'm avoiding anything
with milk or cheese, to keep from having to be sure she doesn't get the wrong
dish by accident...........

    Thanks, all!

                Ldy Diana