SC - DELIVERY FAILURE: Router: Unable to open mailbox file OSU-NS01/OKSTATE mail.box: Unable to find path to server

Postmaster@cis.okstate.edu Postmaster at cis.okstate.edu
Sat Aug 7 09:14:27 PDT 1999

Melcnewton wrote:

> So if I ask for a patable lima bean recipe using dried beans, beyond their
> use in succatash because my husband's grandmother died last week and when my
> mother in law divided up the left over groceries, she gave me a
> who-knows-how-old bag of dried limas, all of you will tell me bean bags? <G>
> Beatrix
> if-I-can-find-a-living-space-before-Sept-2 future Iowan
>
> ps. the story about the lima beans is true, and IF anyone really has a
> decent recipe, please let me know

In my opinion it's only frozen lima beans that are truly evil, they
resemble pencil erasers; dried white lima beans are perfectly good
either as a pseudo-cassoulet-ish casserole kinda thing, or in a soup.

You can take a small onion, a carrot, and a stick of celery, cut into
1/4-inch dice and slowly sweat them in bacon fat, olive, oil, butter, or
whatever you choose, until tenderish, then add home made (or low-salt
canned) chicken stock, and some sort of smoked meat element, such as
chunks of slab bacon, ham hocks, smoked sausage, etc. Bacon can go in
"raw" or after having been frizzled for the fat to cook your veggies in.
Add lima beans soaked overnight in the fridge, a bay leaf or two, and
perhaps some thyme, marjoram, oregano, or savory. Cook until the beans
are tender, ~2 hours or so. If using ham hocks it might require a bit
longer cooking.

For a cassoulet-ish type dish, use less liquid (just enough to cook the
beans without having them swim around on your plate), a tomato product
added after the beans are tender, and more meat, usually a mix. Also
scads of garlic. As in _lots_. Cook in the oven in a covered casserole
for an hour or two, then uncover, allowing a soft crust to from on top.
Every 20 minutes or so, break up the crust with a spoon and stir it into
the casserole. When the beans and meat are tender, let one last crust
form on top before serving.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy