SC - Romantic Food

Mon Aug 9 12:58:59 PDT 1999

I made a medievaloid/germanish pork pie yesterday, and figured I'd share
the, for want of a better word for it, recipe.  Now, understand, that I
tend to cook just like the medieval cookbooks talk, so the portions and
times are a bit nebulous.  YMMV, but it should tolerate deviations of
various sorts.  Here goes.  By the way, if anyone knows of a medieval
recipe that this approximates, please let me know:

Ingredients:

2lbs ground pork
about 4 slices large red onion, chopped
1 handful parsley, chopped
1 small handful raisins
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
salt and pepper
sage
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
Several handfuls of grated cheese (I used the 6-blend Italian from kraft)
3 raw eggs
nutmeg
A top and bottom pie crust for a 9" pie

Heat oven to around 350F. Saute the onions until transparent, set aside.
Brown pork, add parsley while browning.  If the pork is particular
greasy, drain it, otherwise don't bother (I didn't need to yesterday)
Add all other ingredients except raw eggs and cheese and stir until
warm, spices are to taste -- a few sprinkles of each should suffice.  Be
very careful with sage -- it is very, very easy to oversage things.
Remove from heat, and let mixture cool a little.  Stir in the cheese
(note, the cheese is a flavoring element, not a truly structural
element) Let mixture cool a little, beat the raw eggs and stir them into
the mixture.  Pour into pie shell, put on cover, vent, and cook in the
oven until done.  If you cook the pork all the way through in the
skillet, this is just long enough to set the eggs (15 - 20 minutes) --
otherwise, long enough to cook the pork throughly (check your favorite
cookbook for the appropriate temperature for pork).  Serve it forth.

Enjoy!

toodles, margaret