SC - Severely off topic .... Personna help

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 10 20:51:26 PDT 1999

Hello all,

Thursday night we're going to Cooking Night and hoping to assist the
autocrat of this fall's Amergin's Revenge (Celtic bardic) event with menu
development -- for 7thC Irish!!

I understand that they have the salmon purchased, and probably smoked by
now.  Gerek and I are collecting oatcake recipes that are at least pure
in ingredients, 8-)...

"Somebody" in this house is convinced that Irish soda bread would/could
be period for 7thC, others are not so sure...  Bear's Irish buttermilk
bread posted on this list has baking soda and cream of tartar -- I do
recall there being discussions about baking soda being period; and cream
of tartar can be scraped off wine barrels...

Ann Hagen's Anglo-Saxon food barely mentions Ireland; Thora Sharptooth's
list of Viking foodstuffs mentions what was found in Viking Dublin, but
we haven't actually seen that source ourselves yet.

Might ANYBODY out there have culinary info on this period and/or locale?

Thanks,
Chimene