SC - request for recipies

Chris and Trisha Makowski roecourt at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 11 03:36:23 PDT 1999

The Associated Press 08/10/99 3:31 PM Eastern

LONDON (AP) -- TV cook Jennifer Paterson, one of the "Two Fat Ladies" who
joyfully salted their recipes with political incorrectness, died Tuesday.
She was 71.
	Miss Paterson had been diagnosed with lung cancer and died in
London's Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, the British Broadcasting Corp.
said. Trying to savor life right to the end, she was more interested in
fine food than the traditional gifts for hospital patients.
	"She didn't see the point of flowers. She'd rather have caviar,"
friend and co-star Clarissa Dickson Wright said Tuesday. "She was totally
larger than
life and a constant source of fun."
	Miss Paterson fell ill in July during filming of "Two Fat
Ladies," a cooking show where the colorful chefs were the main course.
	Perfectly happy to be fat, the women toured the country on Miss
Paterson's old Triumph motorcycle -- she in the driving seat and Miss
Dickson Wright, in Red Baron-style helmet, squeezed into the sidecar.
	They went from one cooking job to the next, chortling and trading
wry quips about food, love and life and happily loading their food with
butter and
cream.
	"Jennifer was a life force on the side of all things that were
politically incorrect," said BBC broadcast chief executive Will Wyatt.
"She came to television all too late, but she left some wonderful
programs behind, which we will be enjoying for years to come."
	Miss Dickson Wright once called the program "a cookery show with
anarchy and a motorbike."
	The chain-smoking Miss Paterson, often filmed with a cigarette
clamped firmly in her mouth, spoke with a ver-r-r-y upper-class accent
and boomed
out her opinions at will.
	She wore black-rimmed eyeglasses, vivid nail polish and plenty of
makeup while she concocted her dishes, which she once described as
"domestic cooking, not flibbertigibbet restaurant cooking."
	She had no more time for body facism than for nouvelle cuisine.
"It's the last taboo, isn't it -- fat?" she told The Associated Press in
a 1997 interview. "It's all the fault of the Duchess of Windsor. She came
up with that stupid line, `You can never be too rich or too thin.' And
America took it to their heart."
	Miss Paterson was born in London, spent her first four years in
China and returned with her family to England, where she attended a
Catholic boarding school.
	She was expelled at age 15 for being disruptive. The nuns, she
said, "had to expel me in the end. They claimed it was the only way to
get the rest of the school to settle down."
	She got only one more year of schooling before moving to Berlin,
where her father had been posted in the army. She went on to teach
English in Portugal and later lived in Venice and Sicily. She also spent
time in Libya, where she cared for an aunt and uncle's children.
	"My whole life was one mistake after another because I was
totally unqualified. I took whatever came along," Miss Paterson said.
Cooking seemed natural, though. "I'd always cooked from the age of 4,"
she said.
	In 1952, she returned to London and began working for magazines
and later the TV show "Candid Camera." In 1977, she landed the job of
cook for The Spectator magazine, remaining there for 15 years.
	It was in 1996 that the BBC teamed her with Miss Dickson Wright.
They barely knew each other at the time, but "the first day taping, it
was as though we had cooked together all our lives," Miss Dickson Wright
said.
	Their program appears in the United States, both on public
television and on cable stations.
	Miss Paterson never married. She shared a London apartment with
her uncle and was also survived by two brothers and their children.
	A funeral is planned for next week at London's Brompton Oratory.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com