SC - message from the guardian of the rock

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 11 06:44:14 PDT 1999

Jimmie.Ruthford at ramstein.af.mil wrote:

>         Greetings all!
>
>         I'm relatively new to medieval re-enactment (SCA) and have an
> interest in cooking.  I have a couple of books that have translations of
> period recipes but would like to get copies of original manuscripts.  Are
> there good sources that make available these copies?
>
>         Roibeard

Hi there, Roibeard!

If by "original manuscripts" you mean actual facsimilies of original
manuscripts, i.e. photocopies or photographs of the pages in their
original handwriting, you may find it somewhat difficult to locate much
without extreme dedication. They're in libraries all over the world,
some are too fragile to be photographed effectively, etc.

There are a fairly large number of good transcribed sources, though:
often in translation with the original text language alongside it. You
might look for Hieatt and Butler's "Curye on Inglysh" (in more or less
untranslated Middle English), any of several translations done by
Terence Scully, such as "Du Fait de Cuisine" by Chiquart and "Le
Viandier de Taillevent" (which contains the original French text), and
Mary Ella Millham's translation of Platina's "De Honesta Volptate et
Valetudinae", in side-by-side Vulgate Latin and modern English.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com