SC - Heresey about the Rock!!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 11 19:33:49 PDT 1999

Hey, I checked and mine needed fixing.  The following came across
one of the lists I'm on.
bill

received it
from his PC support group and passed it on to me.  I had already
heard
about it and had fixed the entry at home but was surprised to
find my
PC at
work was a time bomb waiting to go, in spite of all the support
staff
we
have there.

Go figure.

Mike

Subject: FW: Y2K  Compliance

 You may think your  PC is "Y2K" compliant, and some little tests
may
have
 actually affirmed that your hardware is compliant, and you may
even
have a
 little company sticker affixed to your system saying "Y2K
compliant"... but
 you'll be surprised that Windows may still crash unless you do
this
simple
 exercise below. Easy fix but something Microsoft seems to have
missed
in
 certifying their software as Y2K compliant.

 This is simple to do, but VERY important.

 Click on "START".

 Click on "SETTINGS".

 Double click on "Control Panel".

 Double click on "Regional settings" icon (look for the little
world
globe).

 Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page (last tab on the
top
right).

 Where it says, "Short Date Sample", look and see if it shows a
"two
digit"
 year format ("YY"). Unless you've previously changed it (and you

probably
 haven't) -- it will be set incorrectly with just the two Y's..
it
needs to
 be four!

 That's because Microsoft made the 2 digits setting the default
setting for
 Windows 95, Windows 98 and NT.

 This date format selected is the date that Windows feeds *ALL*
application
 software and will not rollover into the year 2000. It will roll
over
to the
 year 00. (*)

 Click on the button across from "Short Date Style" and select
the
option
 that shows, "mm/dd/yyyy" or "m/d/yyyy". (Be sure your selection
has
four y's
 showing, not just "mm/dd/yy).

 Then click on "Apply".

 Then click on "OK" at the button.

 Easy enough to fix. However, every "as distributed" installation
of
Windows
 worldwide is defaulted to fail Y2K rollover... Pass this along
your PC
 buddies... no matter how much of a guru they think they are...
this
might be
 a welcome bit of information!