SC - message from the guardian of the rock

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 12:25:43 PDT 1999

JEANNE STAPLETON wrote:

> I'm wondering what the determining characteristics of "hash" are.
> Recently I had "prime rib hash", topped with tomato slices which were
> topped with poached eggs and hollandaise.  The result was outstandingly
> successful.

In theory the ingredients for hash are "hacheed" or chopped. I've seen
hashes, among others, in the form of the usual roast-beef or corned-beef
hash, clam hash, a pickle hash relish, and the chicken hash at the 21
Club (I worked there briefly), which is quite an elegant dish of diced
poached sauteed in sauce supreme. New chefs come on and swear they'll
get rid of the chicken hash from the menu, and the next day they come
out of the owner's offices, walking a little funny, and the chicken hash
is still there. It's been on the menu since the 1920's, and seems likely
to remain as long as the restaurant does.

Pickle hash, BTW, bears only the resemblance to other hashes in that the
ingredients are hashed or chopped up.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy