SC - where in the world is the rock?

Leslie Lansdowne lalliepop at netzero.net
Thu Aug 12 15:51:13 PDT 1999

In a message dated 8/12/1999 2:51:59 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
troy at asan.com writes:

<<
 > Succotash is corn and black-eyed peas.  (all this is a perfect example of
 > why 'traditional' is such poor documentation.) >>

I've eaten this, and it is good.  But I never heard a name for it.  In my
family, succotash is corn, baby lima beans, and tomatoes.
Now I have made "Hopping John" which is black eyed peas cooked with pork and
served over a bed of rice with chopped raw onion and sliced fresh tomatoes on
the side in the summer, and with greens and cheese pie and fried chicken in
the winter.

Hopping John

4 quarts water
1 hog jowl, or ham bone,
2 cups shelled fresh black eyed or purple crowder peas
1 cup rice
2 cups tepid water
1 tsp salt.
dash olive oil

Boil the pork in the water until it is falling off the bone.  About half an
hour before serving, cook the rice.  Add the rice to the tepid water, salt
and oil.  bring to a boil, remove from heat and allow to sit covered for at
least twenty minutes  Add the peas to the cooking ham and return to the boil
for about ten minutes, or until the peas are tender but not mushy.  Serve
over the rice.

Bouquet Pepper Sauce

Don't know by what other name they are called, but Bouquet Peppers are a
capsaicin pepper with tiny fruit that grows on a dwarf plant, and has a long
growing season, so there are usually green peppers, yellow peppers, red
peppers, and sometimes purple peppers all on the plant at the same time.
It's very showy, and the fruit pack a whallop.  Not as hot as Jabenero, but
more powerful than simple chiles.  To make the pepper sauce, pack as many
whole peppers into a decorative cruet or container of your choice as you can
without crushing them.  Add a pinch of salt.  Cover with boiling white
vinegar.  Allow to sit a couple of weeks to bring out the best flavor.  Will
keep indefinitly without refrigeration.