SC - Dinner last night

Diana Haven tantra at optonline.net
Fri Aug 13 17:32:54 PDT 1999

> You had leftovers???  Texicans might know how to cook seafood, but obviously
> don't know how to eat it.
> wajdi

Well it was quite a bit of food for 8 - 10 people. Let's see it was 4 pounds of
lobster, 3 pounds of salmon, 2 pounds of scallops, 2 pounds of shrimp, 2 pounds
of steak, plus rice, peas, bread, rich sauces, asparagus, half a watermelon and
two good sized merengue pies. And the leftovers fit in the average small
tupperware lunch dish.

We didn't use recipes either but here's what I can recall:

Mushroom Sauce

1 pkg dried assorted sauce mushrooms
1 cup chicken stock
4 T. butter
a little less than 1 quart whipping cream
salt, pepper, a bit of ginger

Boil the mushrooms in the stock for 20 minutes, adding
liquid if it starts to dry. Remove the mushrooms and
chop finely. Return to the liquid and add cream, salt, pepper,
butter and ginger. Cook down to the desired consistancy.

Adding some white wine or sherry could have improved the
dish but I didn't have any. It was wonderful with the steak
and even spread over french bread slices.

Scallop dish

1 lb scallops washed and cleaned
4 T butter
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 parmesian cheese
garlic powder
sprinkling of lemon juice (I used some verjuice I had on hand.)

Put scallops in a cassarole dish and dot with butter. Sprinkle
on garlic powder and top with breadcrumb/cheese mixture.
Place in 350 F. oven for 10 minutes then broil until the top
browns. Sprinkle lemon juice over top and serve it forth.

Can't give the recipe for lobster salad because my roommate
made it.

Gunthar