SC - Romantic Food

Sat Aug 14 05:21:26 PDT 1999

Mike Young wrote:

> Are there any herbs or other edible period plants with white leaves?
> Strange question I know, but I'm actually involved in a heraldry debate
> trying to help a friend design arms.
> thanks
> gwyneth

Whilst I can think of herbs with white flowers, the one that currently springs
to mind is Wormwood.  This herb has a silvery grey foliage rather than white
though.  Its scientific name is Abinsinthium.  It is related to mugwort.  Both
herbs are bitter digestive remedies and many bitter aperitifs such as vermouth
contain wormwood as a digestive stimulant.  As its name implies, wormwood is
also used to expel worms.  It s supposed to be able to be dated to Anglo Saxon
times according to my medicinal herb book, I believe I have seen reference to it
in Culpeppers.
It has distinct side effects (uterine stimulants which may cause fetal
abnormality" & contains the potentially addictive thujone, which gave the drink
abinsthe its notorious reputation.

It is exceptionally pretty.

Lorix