SC - ginger

WOLFMOMSCA@aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 06:01:58 PDT 1999

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

>         A question for those of you who are not off warring with each other...
>         I was thinking of making a roast in the very near future, something
> that could be served sliced cold, maybe with sauce. I had thought
> immediately of Cormarye from _Curye of Inglysch_, but that's a pork
> roast, and I'd prefer not to use pork this time. Does anyone have an
> idea for something like Cormarye, but beef? Or would the same recipe
> work with beef? I don't recall ever making a major substitution like
> that before. Any ideas?

Ideas for a specifically marinated roast, that is medieval, other than
cormarye, in my experience, no, or at least not offhand. I think there
are some late-period or just-post-period recipes for various soused
meats, cooked and then pickled in wine, vinegar, salt, etc. I'll see if
I can find some of them later.

If you want to go the strictly medieval route, I might suggest a
well-seasoned roast (i.e. assertively salted, etc.) with one of the
several pevorade sauces. If pepper is not your thing (although it has a
special affinity for beef) you might make a cameline sauce. According to
Taillevent, the default setting seems to be that most roasts are eaten
either with a verjuice dip or with cameline, but he doesn't include beef
among the references to roasts.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy