SC - Authenticity list

Holliday, Rachel {DISC~Welwyn} RACHEL.HOLLIDAY at roche.com
Tue Aug 17 07:38:21 PDT 1999

and it occurs to me that the use of chocolate is not really any more
agregious (my word for the week :)) than, say, Stan Rogers sea chanties at
bardic circles, folks walking around with flashlights, the ubiquitous
knight who wanders aobut in jeans, baseball cap, engineer boots with spurs
and an SCA Tshirt, baby strollers at events, mirrored sunglasses, dome
tents and directors chairs, cigarette smoking on the eric, pop cans out in
the open, folks talking about the latest version of various Microsoft
products (we have a real problem with this one in this barony! :)), or
better yet, takling about who's cooler, Obi Wan or Liam Neesons character...

The SCA is a unique and fun place. No where in corpora does it say ANYTHING
being documentably medieval, except as one must "make an attempt at
pre-17th century dress". The fact that I choose to persue period stuff is
my own choice. I have no right to try and foist that off on anyone else, no
matter how much I want to :). Of course, in theory, that means no one has
the right to foist THEIR standards off on me, either!

If its an event that insists on serving modern food, I tend not to go. I
also dont tend to go to bardic circles that do anything but period stuff,
and tend to find something else to do during courts or other entertainments
that rely heavily on modern humor and schtick.

just some morning blatherings...
- --Anne-Marie