SC - bread recipes--??

Chris and Trish Makowski roecourt at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 17 07:44:30 PDT 1999

I tried to keep out of this thread, but I can't.  I'm a carnivore, I'm also
a cook.  I cook for a household in my Shire at events.  We have a couple of
ovo-lacto vegetarians.  Here is what I did to accomodate everyone with a
minimum of extra work.  I don't even pretend these items are period.

     First course:  Sourdough & Sauerkraut Breads with Herbed Cream Cheese
               (OK for both groups)
     Second Course:  Garlic Chicken, rice and honey carrots
               (I cooked the rice in vegetable broth instead of chicken
stock)
     Third Course:  Bratwurst in Beer, Sauteed Cabbage, stewed apples and
bread
               (I used vegetable oil and vegetable broth in the cabbage,
omitting            sausage called for in the recipe)

Everyone was so stuffed, no one missed dessert.  Thank goodness.  Next
time, I'm going to make egg pies and mushroom pasties as entree dishes.  I
know I'll repeat the breads & herbed cream cheese, they went over so well.
I always try to accomodate vegetarians, folks with allergies, or something
someone "just doesn't like."  One member, in particular, only ate corn, no
other vegetables.  She tried the honey carrots and went back for seconds.
Surprise!

When my house started camping together, we agreed food costs would be
evenly divided among the household.  Even though the vegetarians wouldn't
eat the meat, they could eat more than enough of everything else.  We have
some folks who don't eat enough to keep a bird alive, while others seem to
be bottomless pits.  There's no way to make sharing food costs equitable.
Anyway, I believe it's only polite to remember someone else's food
orientation, keeping it in mind while menu planning.

Sorry, this is one of my soapbox issues,
I'm going back to my niche in the Rock (if I'm still welcome)

Lady Liadnan (Leanna) of Sparrowhaven
Shire Hospitaler
Member of Merry Mucians of Mooneschadowe
Member House of Dancing Lions
Shire of Mooneschadowe (Stillwater)
Ansteorra (Oklahoma)