SC - A Dilemma on what to cook for Dinner-HELP!

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 05:05:20 PDT 1999

I believe you will find polenta is used to describe cereal grains cooked
drier than a puls and often shaped into loaves.  Apicius gives a recipe for
wheat polenta and Cato (IIRC) gives one for barley.

There is a 29 year window when maize could have been used in Leonardo's
lifetime.  Of this, the most probable period he would have come in contact
with maize is his second Florentine stay from 1500 to 1515.  After this time
he was in France and before it he was serving Milan in a often itinerant
capacity.

I don't recall any references to Leonardo and maize, although if it had been
available his experimental bent would probably have made him one of the
first to use it.  I would say the connection is probably apocryphal.

As for the maize, it may have been in use in Italy early in the 16th
Century.  It was probably imported by the Venetians who were the major
traders between Spain and Turkey.  It was certainly known by the end of the
16th Century.

Bear