SC - book by Carole Lambert

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Wed Aug 18 05:42:58 PDT 1999

"ana l. valdes" wrote:

> Its not any French speakers on the list? Not any Canadians? Or all the
> people has gone to Pennsic?

A lot of them have; I saw your post and did a brief Web search for
appropriate online bookstores, and came up with nothing. I recently
bought a copy of the book in question at  a local bookstore which
specializes in obscure cookery-related texts. They immediately replaced
it with a couple of new copies on the shelf. I might be able to either
discover where they got it, or get a copy for you. As I recall it was
rather expensive for me (~$58 US) but was worth it for its information
value and the fact that I was standing there with it in my hands. I
suppose this is why they tell us never to go food shopping while
hungry... .

> I posted yesterday a letter about a new book by Carole Lambert, a
> canadian middle age scholar, Fetes Gourmandes a Moyen Age.
> I want find her older book, Du manuscript a la table, and its out of
> print everywhere. I wondered in my letter if someone could help me with
> some adress to any canadian online bookstores and if someone could tell
> me the opinion about Lambert as a trustworthy source.

I'd say Lambert is a trustworthy source overall; she is the editor of
"Du manuscrit a la table", and actually has written comparatively little
of the contents of the book, which is a series of articles by other food
historians, including Hieatt, Scully, Grewe, Millham, Santich, and others.

If it would help, here are the address of the publishers/distributors on
both sides of the Atlantic:

Les Presses de l'Université de Montréal
C.P. 6128, Succ. A, Montréal (Québec)
Canada H3CJ7