SC - FW: Fields of Gold information

JEANNE STAPLETON jstaplet at du.edu
Wed Aug 18 08:28:54 PDT 1999

hey all from Anne-Marie
Glenda sez:
Here in the "ar*e end of the world" (Australia - that was actually quite
>from a former Prime Minister - go figure!), we've used un-garbagged bins for
>drink mixing from the time they were first commercially available. You
>mostly see this done when there are large gatherings, and most bins are
>clearly marked "Food Use Only". No-one ever seems to have a problem with
>this! They also make good containers for putting bottles and cans in ice.
>Now most Australian garbage bins are the huge square or round ones about 50"
>tall, picked up once a week, these plastic bins seem to be mostly sold for
>this purpose!

I cant speak for other places, but here in the US, "food grade" plastic is
very different from non-food grade plastic. The manufactureres certify that
no nasty chemical residues, fiberglass fibers, etc remain on the thing.
Garbage cans (and garbage can liners) are not so certified to my knowledge.
Now, for myself, I have nothing against storing cleaned greens in a large
new garbage bag, or using it to mix large batches of dry ingredients, but I
may hesitate to do so for a large group of my friends. me, if I poison
myself, its my own problem.

You have the same issue with various kinds of epoxy (food grade vs non food
grade) and oil finishes for butcher blocks, etc.

- --AM