SC - going to London

Mary_HallSheahan@ademco.com Mary_HallSheahan at ademco.com
Wed Aug 18 08:47:07 PDT 1999

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Thank you, ever so
much.
You will notice that I posted the reply from the autocrat without comment -
I wanted to give you all a crack at it first!
I must admit I do feel a bit like a rabble-rouser, though. Not that this is
a bad thing.
Now, what do we do about it? I'm not advocating anything like crashing the
contest or telling the autocrats ever-so-politely that they're off their
collective rocker. But how to change people's minds on chocolate? I realize
it's a hot-button issue, but it seems to me to be an allegory for so many of
the "periodicity" problems we have in the SCA. (Has anyone else read
Elaina's "rattan hypothesis"?) Like Gunthar says, it seems to be just one
more case of "if they'd had it, they'd have used it". Which I think
completely sidesteps one of the basic SCA tenants that I believe most people
in the SCA share about at least *something*, that is that we're here to
create an atmosphere that's more period than we did before. Why else would
we study, translate, go to classes, have events that feature classes, etc?
Chocolate's great. Just don't say it's a contest for chocolate in the period
style, if that's *not* what you mean.
Now somebody help me down off this soapbox!
Maredudd