SC - FW: Fields of Gold information

Lady Elisabeth of Pendarvis pndarvis at execpc.com
Wed Aug 18 09:18:50 PDT 1999

> "<snip>
>
> This Tasting is designed to bring out the Grandiose.  Many would argue
> that
> Chocolate is not period, But I say that Spain landed in the new world in
> 1492, and if you found Chocolate, would you share?????  This is a display
> contest designed around the premise "To the most decadent (with a period
> flair) go the Spoils"  Imagination definitely counts, and be not shy with
> thy presentation......
>
> Pass it on
>
> In Service, Ld Random"

Whimsical, but scholastically fallacious.

What the Conquistadors brought back were cacao beans or, more likely, cocoa,
which is produced  by fermenting, curing and then roasting the pods of the
cacao tree (Theobroma cacao).

It was definitely not found in 1492.  It was found in Mexico on Hernando
Cortez's expedition of 1520.  The beans were probably not delivered to Spain
until 1527 with the end of the Conquest or 1528, when Cortez was relieved of
command and returned to Spain.  Apparently cocoa as a drink became popular
in Spain about 1580 and spread to the rest of Europe early in the 17th
Century.

Chocolate is made with cocoa from which most of the fat has been removed,
sugar, cocoa butter (to return the fat), and milk solids.  Chocolate, as
opposed to cocoa, the powder or the drink, appears to be of 17th Century
origin.  The process for milk chocolate was perfected in 1876.

There may be some proof of the use of cocoa or chocolate in Late Renaissance
Italy based on the Carta Bardi II manuscript in the Florentine archives.
However, this has been referenced only in passing and I have seen nothing to
date the manuscript or describe its contents.

Frankly, I'm sorry I can not attend this event and present my interpretation
of the "Confection of ground nuts and cocoa" as recorded in the Casablanca
documents of Chef Le Bruin.  (With an appropriate bittersweet ganache).

Bon chance

Bear