SC - Coffee drinking

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Aug 18 12:51:23 PDT 1999

IIRC, the Arabs introduced rice from India to Spain, Cyprus and Sicily.  The
initial conquests in India were in 712.  Spain was invaded in 711.  Cyprus
was taken around 683.  And Sicily was taken in the 9th Century.  So rice was
likely introduced to Spain and Cyprus early in the 8th Century and Sicily
some time in the 9th Century.

There was an abortive attempt to grow rice in Southern France late in
period.

Rice was a secondary grain because it was not used to make bread and most of
Europe had to import it.

Bear