SC - Chocolate..Period or not...

JEANNE STAPLETON jstaplet at du.edu
Wed Aug 18 13:53:39 PDT 1999

Achiote is used in Spanish cooking.  It is akin in shape & size to a clove
but it is nothing like it in taste or color.  It is so red it looks
artificial--like the "barbequed pork" product served at some
all-you-can-eat "Chinese" restaurants.  I have seen it referenced as a
coloring agent, like saffron, but again like saffron I think it has a
pleasant flavor all its own.  (Saffron beats it hands down though.)  It is
softer however so I don't recommend putting it in the pepper mill.  I got
mine at an 'odd job' in Groton, I think the brand is the ubiquitous Spice
Islands.  Should be available cheap in your local equivalent of Spanish
Harlem.

Emme