SC - Cooking by "hand")

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 15:06:53 PDT 1999

- --- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:
> Wajdi wrote:
> >
> > > (But I guess I could have picked up some of the strange tastes
> and
> > > rituals of the heathens....)
>
> You could- but _would_ you? When I visit relatives in BC I come home
> with an accent but it never lasts very long. And without a consistent
> flow of imports, I doubt a coffee habit would take hold until _much_
> later...

Sure you would -- how long do you generally visit your relatives for?
Couple of weeks?  If you spent 3 - 5 - 7 years there, as some of the
crusaders did, you'd get pretty used to the habits/customs/foodstuffs
you'd been forced to adopt as being what was available to you.  So
would your buddies.  If you came to be pretty fond of coffee, and you
knew you were going to miss it, and you were bringing home any spoils
of war, why not assume you'd be bringing a couple of sacks of coffee?
And once you're home, some of you may look into a less aggressive but
still exciting line of work, like say, import export.  And if lots of
your buddies start wishing they had more of that coffee stuff, and were
willing to pay for you to get them some....

- -- Harriet