SC - Rock Cleaning

margali CUSKYNOLESmargali at 99main.com
Fri Aug 20 11:43:06 PDT 1999

Cuskynoles are a form of fruit filled pastry.  The recipe for them is in
Curye on Inglsche and it is the only recipe with an assembly diagram.  The
Great Cuskynole Debate revolves around how to interpret the recipe and the
diagram with Adamantius and Cariadoc having taken differing views.  It was
hotly debated for almost a month about two years ago and had a resurgence
about Christmas of last year.

The recipe is included in this message from the Second Cuskynole Crusade:

Cuskynoles have been a subject of much debate here on the List, leading to
almost acrimonius exchanges between two gentles of differing opinions. My
opinion is that they are essentially fruit ravioli- here is the recipe from
Diuersa Cibaria, # 45, in Hieatt and Butler's1985 edition of Curye on
Inglysch, so that you may make your own opinion. (th) as usual, indicates
the letter "thorn".

A mete (th)at is icleped cuskynoles. Make a past tempred wi(th) ayren, &
so(th)(th)en nim peoren & applen, figes & reysins, alemaundes & dates; bet
am togedere & do god poudre of gode speces wi(th)innen. & in leynten make
(th)i past wi(th) milke of alemaundes, & rolle (th)i past on a bord, &
so(th)(th)en hew hit on moni perties, & vche an pertie beo of (th)e
leyn(th)e of a paume & an half & of (th)reo vyngres of brede. & smeor (th)y
past al of one dole, & so(th)(th)en do (th)i fassure wi(th)innen. | Vchan
kake is portiooun. & so(th)(th)en veld togedere o(th)e 3eolue manere, ase
(th)eos fugurre is imad:

__________________________________
|     .     |     .     |     .     |     .     |     .     |
|______|_______|______|______|_______|
|     .     |     .     |     .     |     .     |     .     |
|______|______|_______|______|_______|
|     .     |     .     |     .     |     .     |     .     |
|______|_______|______|______|_______|

& so(th)(th) boille in veir water, & so(th)(th) en rost on an greudil: &
so(th)(th)en adresse.

Have fun ;-)

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom

My cuskynole file is massive and I don't think Stefan has yet placed the
debate in the Florilegium.  However, if you or anyone else is interested,
e-mail me privately at terryd at health.state.ok.us and I'll dig out the two
major interpretations and send them to you.

Bear