SC - Cathari, Vegetarian Heretics

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Aug 20 14:29:35 PDT 1999

all she would have had to do [and realistically in period
would have done] was to claim to be doing pennance for some
sin such as gluttony [remember that eating before taking the
sacrament on sunday was a sin, though often waived for
children, pregnant women and the ill, women were weak
vessels and prone to sinning, so doing pennance for gluttany
would not have been all too uncommon]

margali
[but then again, lets not cloud the issue with facts-if she
had claimed pennance, no plot line!]

> In the novel (wish I could remember the title!) a newcomer is looked at
> with suspision because she is not eating meat at a meal, and the priest
> especially asks her what is wrong with her dinner, and the whole tone
> is such that this woman (who IS Cathari, but trying to hide it)
> basically has the choice of choking down some flesh and breaking her
> oath, or being branded a heretic and presumably killed for it.  Fun,
> huh?  Sounds like that much might be plausible based on the above
> reference to crusades and inquisitions.
>
> -- Harriet

- --
To respond, take out the word "cuskynoles"