SC - Coffee drinking

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 07:46:10 PDT 1999

Hullo, the list!

Just on the other side of the coin, as it were, from the Cathars and
vegetarians who may have taken a clerical vow, we have historical
examples like Amadeus, "Red" Count of Savoy (father of Amadeus, first
Duke of Savoy), who had taken an oath to eat no meat or animal products
until, I think, Jerusalem was in Christian hands or some such. I forget
the details, and am at the moment insufficiently caffeinated for proper
memory retrieval. Amadeus the Younger, though, was the eighth Count and
first Duke of Savoy (also later Pope, but his name in that role escapes
me -- see above on caffeine) for whom Maitre Chiquart d'Amiczo  wrote
his "Du Fait de Cuisine" in the early 15th century. This source, BTW, is
full of fish-day recipes...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy