SC - OT Re: Cuskynole Debate

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 08:26:24 PDT 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> You see, two of the senior members of the list disagree as to what the
> illustration represents.  Most of us refuse to take sides in the issue,
> wisely.  The discussion tends to get just a bit heated whenever the question
> comes up.
>
> Mordonna

In fairness (and as one of the people deeply involved in this question)
I should point out that the degree of heat that has arisen has, for the
most part, not come  from the participants. Any perception of anger or
tension has been just that: perceived, and by people who don't know
either of us well, I think. Also, it should be pointed out that when I
asked on more than one occasion if people would prefer that the thread
be taken private, the vast majority specifically said "No, please don't.
We're enjoying this!" As far as I know, one person specifically asked
not to have the latest installment of this mental ping-pong match appear
in her morning mail, and the thread ended almost immediately thereafter.

Both of the participants of this question are experienced debators, and
one might be described, perhaps, as a professional, and the topic of
cukynoles did become something of a spectator sport. Neither participant
would stoop to vulgar wrangling on an open list, though.

Most of the subsequent references to the topic have been in jest...this
one is as serious as it's gotten in a long time...

I mention these things not in refutation of anything Mordonna has said
(well, mostly not) but for the benefit of those people who weren't
subscribed to the cook's list when these discussions took place.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com