SC - Fish recipes

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Sun Aug 22 14:39:55 PDT 1999

Kerri Canepa wrote:

> As I was browsing through the menus in Menagier, I couldn't help notice the
> preponderance of fish dishes. And that was on the meat day menus.

Le Menagier seems to be somewhat unique in containing a couple of dishes
calling for both meat and fish together; the meat tile, made of veal or
poultry sauced with a crayfish-flavored almond sauce, and garnished with
the tails, is one example, but there are others, I believe.

> I'm curious. Has anyone used fish dishes in the feasts they prepare? Even here
> in Alaska, salmon and halibut capital of the north, fish does not hit the feast
> menu very often.
>
> If you have included fish recipes in feasts, how many did you prepare? How did
> the feast attendees respond to them?

Generally rather well. Favorites include the aforementioned meat tile
(but I made it with shrimp), the cuminee de poissons from Le Menagier de
Paris, roast salmon with cameline sauce, and saumon gentil from one of
the early Forme of Cury proto-manuscripts somewhere in Curye on
Inglyshe. The last one is a sort of quenelle, we served it with a green
sauce. I've also had great success with mussels in a vinegar/butter
broth, found, IIRC, in Gervase Markham's "The English Huswife".

I serve enough for everyone to have around 3 ounces sans shell, skin,
bones, etc., on the assumption there are a few who won't eat any at all,
and those who like the stuff will pig out, more or less.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com